To all of those who have lost mothers, we see you today. We want to acknowledge that this day may be bitter sweet. A day of remembrance mixed with a feeling of longing. Whether you lost your mom 20 years ago or 6 months ago, it's okay to give yourself some time today to mourn. Jesus tells us, "Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted." This is not just an invitation to allow yourself time to feel, it's also a promise from God that you will find peace. God knows your heart. While it seem difficult to navigate through your emotions today there are some ways you can actively bring some extra peace and tenderness into your day.
- Take a few minutes to remember and celebrate the best things about your mom. Tell someone about one of your favorite memories of your mom or journal it out. Sometimes your pen hitting the page is soothing in and of itself.
- Pray a thanksgiving prayer for your mom and all she has done for you. The very life you enjoy was because your mother carried you as God knit you together in her womb. Pray not just for comfort today but also for joy, Pray until you've left your pain with God in exchange for He's peace. Pray through the psalms until that peaceful breakthrough envelops you.
- Grant a happy mother's Day to another dear woman in your life. It may be a dear friend, aunt, grandma, or sister. By giving someone a moment of joy, you can't help but to feel some of that joy yourself.
- Ask God to fill your heart with the tender love of a mother. We often refer to God as our heavenly Father but we should remember that human fathers only reflect part of God's nature. God also created women and mothers to reflect another beautiful side of God. God yearns to love you in this way. Press into Him and feel your heart fill with His nurturing, tender presence.
- Take a moment to love yourself. Stand in pride as you have the honor of being your mother's legacy. She marked this world possibly with many things, you being the brightest.
- Write a letter to your mom anyway. Let her know how your life has been, catch her up on your accomplishments and tell her you miss her. This can be hugely therapeutic.
There are some of you whose mothers were or are absent from your life, we see your loss too. Hear me when I tell you how cherished you are to your heavenly Father! You are chosen, accepted, and deeply loved. Nothing is more precious to Him than you are! Be honest in your prayers to God. Pray for supernatural peace today and pray for the deepest forgiveness. Pray for release from your pain and feel God restoring you today.
But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them sing joyful praises forever. Spread your protection over them, that all who love your name may be filled with joy. For you bless the godly, O Lord ; you surround them with your shield of love.